Friday 15 March 2013

Obsession ...

You know when you're wasting time browsing on Pinterest, and something catches your eye and you repin it? Then you keep thinking about it and how much you'd like it to be more than just a virtual pin? Well, that happened with this vest.




To tell you the truth, it became a bit of an obsession. There was a teeny, tiny problem though and that was that I had never done Fair Isle knitting before. Then a brainwave struck! I wondered if I could persuade Julie to help me out when she came over for lunch the other day. I might've hogged her attention for a while, I'll admit it *wink wink*





After worrying about tension and not comprehending top and bottom strands, I am now the proud wearer of a garment that I actually knitted myself. I have to confess that I haven't knit anything bigger than a hat or a scarf since I was at college over 27 years ago, and that was a purple mohair number that proved too darn itchy to wear, so I am feeling fairly triumphant about this particular finished item.

All details over on Ravelry.





Now it seems my obsession has moved onto other things and I am truly inspired by Kristina's beautifully neat sock knitting to pick up the dpn's again ...





23 comments:

  1. Wow, that was really quick! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tracy, it is beautiful! I have the very same pattern pinned, but in typical me fashion have done nothing about knitting it!!

    I think Kristina's socks have spawned a lot of sock knitting impulses. Hers are way more beautiful than any pair I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful wool! And the jumper's looking good too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jumper is just amazing! I can't wait to see it in person at Kew. And I'm loving the sock wool colorway too--those grays and blues--very tempting! K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweater is beautiful. It's no good... I keep seeing lovely knitting on other blogs and my list of things I want to make grows ever longer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.
    wow.
    sigh.

    It's gorgeous Tracy.

    And scary as hell! Fair Isle? top strand? bottom strand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful vest - never tried fair isle but oh so tempted!
    What are you knitting your socks with? Loving the colours

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a gorgeous sweater, I'm off to Ravelry to look at the pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vest is beautiful, well done. Please tell me knitting socks is easy?!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is STUNNING. I love the colours and I bet you look gorgeous in it. Please will you send me a pic of you in it, I'd so love to see.

    Take care and enjoy the sock knitting .. I've just made another couple of hats. Like I need any more ..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blimey! That is so impressive and even though I'm a non knitter I love that yarn.

    Have a good one,

    Nina x

    ps. he is such a stupid cat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh it is truly lovely. x and hurray for socks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous colour choices for the jumper and the socks .. well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your vest is lovely!

    How did you find the Shelter to work with? I really didn't like Loft, Shelter's finer sibling, and I had had such high hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so gorgeous Tracy! A triumph of fairisle knitting (which is much easier than it looks once you get going). I love your sock knitting too, now there is a type of knitting that I find scary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh aren't you clever! I'm terrified of fairisle knitting so maybe I need to kidnap Julie too - it's a shame she doesn't live nearer! Your sock looks fab - what is the yarn? Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gasp! That is so beautiful. Why am I not surprised?

    Proper email soon - just climbing out of bed from stinkin' flu. Not amused. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's gorgeous, I love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  19. WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS AT THE WEEKEND?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very jealous. It is beautiful, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I really would love to know the details for that sock yarn - my daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ali
    Thanks for your comment!
    The stripy sock yarn is: http://www.greatbritishyarns.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.cgi?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egreatbritishyarns%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=felici&PN=Felici%2dSh%2dMinty%2ehtml%23a5103#a5103
    It knits up beautifully - I'm almost done with this pair now.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...