Wednesday 16 May 2012

Revamp...

Let's talk about cushions. I love making cushions. I can never have too many cushions. When I don't have room for any more cushions, I love making new cushion covers to swap over with the ones I already have. Oh, yes. I do love cushions.

It goes with the territory of loving fabric, I suppose. They are quick and easy to make and a great way of trying out techniques or patterns on a smaller scale than a quilt.





The quilt WIP that I posted about last week is this pattern, which I'm loving, and so I thought it would be fun to upsize a block and make it cushion-sized. I cut the squares at 5½" rather than 2½" and it just about fitted a 20" cushion pad. I adore those peacocks!




I used my usual method of an envelope back, added a tiny bit of the selvedge as a label and made binding to sew the fronts and backs together.

For the two smaller cushions, I just sewed strips of the remaining fabrics together and did a bit of slicing and dicing to make the fronts.





Then I got stuck into a tutorial* that I have had bookmarked forever for inserting an invisible zip. I bought both the zips and the special foot for my sewing machine some time ago too and have been waiting for an opportunity to get stuck in. Would you believe me if I said it was simple? Really, it was.

Very neat, even if I do say so myself. There will be more of these to come. I can feel it.




They brighten up the conservatory and they hide a sofa that I'm not that keen on but happens to be very comfy and has lasted for years.




 Most importantly, they get the paws up of approval.




*the tutorial is actually part of this pattern which I purchased but I'm sure there are others out there.

8 comments:

  1. EEEEEEK! You have me all excited about zips now. I need to learn how to do that. Like, today.

    Sadly, there are nettles to be cleared and not one, but two after school activities to be completed. Bother. I doubt the family would mind having a late dinner though so I can put in zips. No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo impressed with the zipper! And your couch looks very inviting...!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore all your cushions! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love all those colourful cushions massed together. They look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful chic lab! we have one too. Very scrummy!

    How is your book doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh so lovely.
    I have zip phobia. really I do. I wonder if there is medication for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What glorious fabrics! I want them all!! The stripy cushion is my favourite I think. Your zip is so impressive. I feel the need to go and do some sewing now! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...