Wednesday 14 April 2010

My garden #4

Nothing very pretty to report today.



Today, I moved the chickens from the convenience of outside the back door, where they have spent the winter, to their summer residence down at the bottom of the garden.  No2 was dragged away from his PS3 to give me a hand carrying it down the garden (much to his disgust...).  Then we spent a while fencing them in.  They are the Houdini's of the chicken world and love to escape, so this year I have penned them in a bit of grass around the swing so they can munch away.  I watched them for ages last year until I could be sure how it was they were getting out.  It turned out that if they head-butted (!!!) the fence for long enough, it would spring up and they could scramble underneath.  Ingenious aren't they?  The fence is now pegged down!  Don't worry no chickens were harmed - the fence is very flexible!


Here they are settling in and having a move around of the bark chips, enjoying the dust!  I need to get some more bark to spread around so it doesn't get too slippy again.





Now I can have my back door open again without finding hens on my conservatory sofa or pecking around the kitchen!  Pippin proved to be the most useless guard dog when confronted with bold as brass hens!  They just march straight past him!




While I'm toiling at the bottom of the garden, my nemesis that is my back border taunts me.  Take a look:



It's not for the want of trying.  I have tried.  Like Every Single Year that I have lived here.




I am confronted with brambles and other undesirables that scramble over from the back of the fence.  It never seems to look... harmonious.  I WILL tidy it up, once my green bin has been emptied...  That's always a good excuse.  Just out of shot to the right is the blossom tree that has a couple of weeks of glory in April each year.  Its buds are about to burst. 


7 comments:

  1. I know you don't like that bit of border, but it's made me feel a bit less inadequate that you and your green fingers have a bit of border that looks less than harmonious My postage stamp-sized garden is the same.

    That apple blossom is going to be stunning, I just know it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I'd love to have chickens! Jo is thinking of moving hers to the allotment for the summer for a change of scene...!

    And love the picture of Pippin and the hen.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 3 bantams and I could watch them for hours, they are very cheeky and very cunning yours sound just the same!crumbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chicken and dog photo... my dog reacts in pretty much the same way to our chickens... just not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope the chickens are happy in their new summer home and dont escape - chickens in the house does sound funny though xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lovely eglu very posh! Flossie and Lily are obviously very spoiled hens =O)
    Don't you just love blossom time?
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely hens! I have just got 4 new ones!!! Your eglu and surrounding space looks so organised! I bet your border is a haven for wildlife! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...