Sunday 22 November 2009

Obsession...

When I made my first quilt last year, I had been on a little journey around the 'net looking and finding inspiration from blogs and other recommended books and websites. I noticed that virtually every quilt that caught my eye had a common feature and that was Denyse Schmidt's seedling fabric from her now-out-of-print Flea Market Fancy collection. I don't know what it is about this fabric that I find so alluring - it is simple but the colours are rich in their own quirky little way.





I even had a lovely email conversation with one of the sales people in Purl in New York as the fabric featured in Last Minute Patchwork Gifts, and that was who broke the news to me that it was discontinued. While we're on the subject of Purl, I have been to New York twice and walked past this wonderful little shop having admired it BUT NEVER WENT IN! What a fool I am. It was before I started quilting, so that's my excuse, but I kick myself every time I think of those two wasted opportunities! Still, I do order from them now and then and I can recommend both their fabric selection and service.


While I have been on my new-found journey of fabric-love, I have been searching for anything that is Flea Market Fancy. I have a satisfying little stash but for some reason, I can't quite bear to cut into it and use it! You see the lime green posy and the red and pink dotty fabric? I got that a couple of weeks ago when I visited The Quilt Room in Dorking... just saying...


Then a while back when I was lost in another blog-led thread I came across this site and so of course, joined the petition to get FMF reprinted. I've just added the button to my sidebar, if you want to click and see what all the fuss is about.

Now it seems that every new quilting blog I look at is a Flea Market Fancy Freak too! They are doing a giveaway at the moment so this post is dedicated to that. Just click on the picture to see if you'd like to join in too:





It is the biggest carrot-being-dangled in front of me! In fact, I am waiting for some of the pink seedling fabric to come from an Etsy shop in Australia right now and some others that I managed to track down on Friday coming from the US. I am obsessed! All I need to do now is find the courage to cut into it and use it...

3 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean about making that first cut! K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on Tracy, get out the scissors - you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purposefully avoid looking at collections like this because I know if I bought some I'd be just the same (keeping quiet about the fat quarters of Kaffe Fasset that may never ever get cut up.....) but I can see why you love this design. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...