Thursday 29 January 2009

Lemon Drizzle Cake...

This is my favourite cake of the moment...




It is EXTREMELY lemony...



And looks fantastic on my new cake plate (a very belated birthday present!)...





Want the recipe? It's from this book, but I leave out the poppy seeds because they are a no-no in this house, as my sister is allergic to them.

So, you need:
  • 115g softened, unsalted butter
  • 115g caster sugar

  • 4 large free-range eggs

  • 180g ground almonds

  • 30g poppy seeds ** Instead, I use the whole of a 200g bag of ground almonds

  • zest and juice of 2 lemons

  • 125g SR flour

for the syrup

  • 100g caster sugar

  • 3 1/2fl oz lemon juice (about 2 lemons)

for the lemon icing

  • 225g icing sugar

  • zest and juice of 1 lemon


Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm/8" springform tin.


Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.




Add the eggs one by one, beating each in well.


Fold in ground almonds, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice and the flour.

Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes until lightly golden.




Meanwhile, make your lemon syrup by heating the sugar and lemon juice in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved. While your cake is warm, make lots of tiny holes in the top and pour the syrup over.




For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and zest, stirring until smooth. Pour over cake, starting in the middle to get the full drizzle effect.


I always think of this sketch from Little Britain when I think of Lemon Drizzle Cake...I nearly called this post 'have ye any nuts?'

12 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! I must start inviting myself round! Did you use the eggs from your hens? K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks divine...and I bet the ground almonds help keep it super moist. I'll have to try it!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh Great minds think alike .. I made TWO of these the other day but guess what ... they've dissappeared!! Cant imagine where (rubbing tummy). I made lemon curd too. That's my post for tomorrow. Yummy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!

    And thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh yummy, one of my favourites! I feel some baking coming on....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum makes what she calls a 'lemon drizzle cake' that looks very similar to that. Darned yummy ... mmmmmmmm. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuuuuuum! I love really lemony lemon cakes - but my smaller tinker informed me sadly today that she doesn't like lemon. No!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe and will definitely give it a go as I love lemon with poppy seeds. It's my favourite Starbucks muffin but it seems to have disappeared from the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to make this cake this week!!! I have never seen that Little Britain sketch before. It was so funny! I wouldn't fancy eating one of those cakes after he had manhandled and breathed all over them though - nuts or no nuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The perfect way to use up my lemons..looks incredible! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I love lemon and this looks amazingly yummy and lemony!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello this cake looks deliscious... do you think it would freeze?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...