Friday 28 November 2008

One other thing...

Just to say that it hasn't all been crochet, crochet, crochet. I have also finished my first assignment.







3240 words (to be precise). To be submitted on Friday by midday.






I am quietly pleased with it... let's hope the marker's are too.


With that out of the way, I am now on my first placement in a school. I am in a Year 6 class and my first day nerves have disappeared, in spite of feeling that I had been thrown into the deep end. As of next Monday, I will be expected to teach the class for 40% of the week...


The school is in a fairly deprived area and the children have a lot of social and emotional difficulties, so where as I initially felt scared that my subject knowledge wasn't really up to scratch, I can already see that teaching is not going to be all about curriculum and statistics. It's taking a lot within me to rise above the emotional side of working with these children and hope that I can make a bit of a difference to their lives, even if it's in the tiniest way.


I've got 2 more assignments to hand in by the 19th December, so bear with me for a bit. I'm sorry I haven't been visiting as much as I'd like to... I will get there... eventually...

7 comments:

  1. Hiya. Well, it all sounds jolly interesting to me. Hard work, but potentially rewarding? I'm sure you ARE making a difference. No.1 still talks about a student teacher she had in her class 2 years ago.

    Keep up the good work! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goooness - talk about throwing you in at the deep end!

    And I still remember the student teacher I had when I was 5. Her name was Miss Hart and she was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with everything you're doing! K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to think that when we first met you were only writing your UCAS application - so much has happened since then! Congratulations on your first assignment - I know that it feels like a very big hurdle and the sense of relief when you land on the other side is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the year six!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that'a a challenging assignment, too many words to comfortably contemplate for me! Well done for getting it in on time and for your very compassionate and wise realisation that teaching isn't all down to mastery of subject matter but more about connection with young minds that need direction and understanding - it sounds to me like you're going to be an inspirational teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curriculum may be core business, but those with social emotional needs do not have room left in their worried little lives to deal with matters of curriculum.

    Your job is three-quarters counsellor - no matter which socio-economic area provides your students.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...