Monday 21 January 2008

Seville Orange Marmalade...

When I spotted Seville oranges in Waitrose last week, I knew I had get marmalade making. I used Sarah Raven's recipe from her Garden Cookbook. I made 1 and a 1/2 times the recipe, which made 15 jars of scrummy marmalade.


So, I scrubbed 2.1kg of Seville oranges and put them in a HUGE pan with 3.6l of water and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt and let them simmer away for an hour while I did some ironing...


Saving all the liquid, I then halved the fruit and scooped out all the pith and pips and boiled it with 450ml of water for 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, I coarsely sliced the orange peel and added it to the reserved liquid in the HUGE pan. Then, strain the pith/pip mixture, adding all the liquid to the HUGE pan along with the juice of 3 lemons and 4kg of sugar.


Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to ensure all the sugar dissolves and then boil rapidly until setting point is reached... This took nearly an HOUR!!!

Allow it to rest for 20 minutes...

Then pour into warm sterilized jars.

Enjoy the following morning with warm croissants and orange juice...



I also finished the Diamond Cushion for my bedroom.

I took the colour inspiration from the pile of cushions gracing my bed.


So, it's all highly co-ordinated in my bedroom now!



11 comments:

  1. Delicious! I made some marmalade at Christmas time. My DH loves it, and when citrus fruit is so good now, it's great to be able to preserve it. LOVE your cushions--they are wonderful! Happy week ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word - that marmalade looks scrummy. And that cushion is wonderful! You clever person, you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouths watering!

    Love the cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'm so excited to read the marmalade post. I have a bag of sevilles coming tomorrow in my weekly fruit & veg box.

    I made marmalade last year and it didn't set very well as I didn't have a jam pan, but I now have one so am looking forward to a set version this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, now I know who had all the Seville oranges - not a one to be found here! It does look very yummy marmalade.

    I LOVE your cushion. I might even dare to suggest I prefer it to Jane's (shhh!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val!! I'm shocked at your heresy (but giggling). I love the cushion too.

    I'm a Marmalade making virgin I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny...I bought seville oranges from the greengrocers in a most smug manner with my copy of Sarah Raven at the ready (love her book, and the cover!) Stupidly I bought them midweek ready to make at the weekend. Come Saturday they had shrivelled and gone a very interesting shade of green. The Cotswolds have now officially sold out of Seville Oranges. Maybe next year! In the meantime I shall carry on buying Bonne Maman (just because I love the jar lids)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That marmalade looks delicious I wish I had been able to get some seville oranges this year. and by the way congratulations on getting onto your course.

    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I,m thinking that SOMEBODY should be getting Domestic Goddess of the Year award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh that marmalade looks so yummy! and the cushion is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know that you can shorten your long links with Shortest and earn cash for every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...