Saturday 3 November 2007

A New Craft...

Back in the summer, we stayed with a friend in Florida. She is a stained glass artist and is lucky enough to have her own studio at the house. During the daily Floridian downpour she tempted me into creating something out of glass. Within a couple of hours and after some elementary tuition, I was hooked.


Over the course of the 10 days spent with her, I made about 5 things - mainly suncatchers. If the sun comes out I will photograph them to post. When we got home I scoured the internet to find a local supplier of the tools and materials needed. My mind was buzzing with ideas. The trouble was, I already had a longish list of things that needed doing once we got home. It took lots of self-discipline not to rush straight out and buy all that was needed to start creating. I'd never worked with a 'hard' material before, but it's almost patchwork, just with a different medium. As with the other things I like to make, the best part is selecting colours and textures to create a wonderful end product.


Anyway, today was the day. So, off we went this morning to find Lead and Light. To say I was like a kid in a candy store is somewhat of an understatement and a tidy sum was spent indulging in my new hobby.


This is the kit you need to get started


And then you can go mad picking out your glass...

The colours and textures and fabulous


My first projects will be Christmas based. The photo's don't really do the glass much justice, but the pile at the top are beautiful, rich purples, violets and plums. A lot of the glass was in the sale bins so I felt justified in buying such a lot!

The thing is this... I need to get a work bench before I can get going. Another trip to Ikea then...

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed droping by your blog! Good luck with your projects this Christmas. Hope you post your creations online.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...